Bret KenworthyVideograhy

Foo Fighters - Home (Lyric Video)

Bret KenworthyVideograhy
Foo Fighters - Home (Lyric Video)

I am starting a new lyric video series in which I pick inspirational songs and create unique videos using their lyrics.  This new side project is to help grow my skills as an artist and, hopefully, grow a following and network with others using Youtube. 

The first song I picked was “Home”, by The Foo Fighters.   I recently spent some time on Mayne Island (off the coast of Vancouver Island), and felt the ambience and feeling of the surroundings.  This line from the song "Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace" perfectly describes the simple life of living on a small island.

All of the footage was captured using my iPhone 7 Plus.  I had my DSLR with me but I decided to have fun and see how far I could push the iPhone's video capabilities.  What I found was, that in perfect light, the video files were more then usable but, in low light, the files ended up being grainy.  I mostly shot 1080p 60fps, but on a few occasions I shot at 4k 30fps.  

In post-production, I used After Effects and the camera tracker tools to lock the lyrics into the environment.  80% of the time it worked great, but for the other 20%, I had to use alternative measures to get the right result.  

One other element of the iPhone 7 Plus I was able to play around with was RAW image capturing.  I used Adobe's Lightroom app to capture the RAW images.  Below you can can see a few images from the trip taken with the iPhone.